Ask Dr. Gel – September 2016
By Administrator September 10, 2016
Most boaters know what can cause a fire on their boat but we’d like to bring to light the reasons for those that may not.
Why do boats catch fire?
Anything that can cause a spark can start a fire or even worse – an explosion in the bilge.
- Lack of adequate ventilation
- Shoddy electrical wiring
- Over heating engines/transmissions
- Galley from cooking/ appliances
- Using automotive parts for marine applications;
- There are specific marine starters and alternators just to name a couple that are built to be flash proof (no sparks in bilge)